5.19.2012

Button and String Fasteners

So I tried a button and string fastener on a gift, and I'm now in love with them! Definitely my favorite new crafty touch! They're super easy too! Just pop the buttons up with foam tape and use baker's twine, hemp or any kind of stringy material to wrap around the buttons and keep the flap shut. I would recommend tucking one end of the string under the foam tape when sticking it to the box or envelope. To keep the ends of the string nice and neat (especially for baker's twine) I dab the smallest bit on liquid glass on my finger and use it to seal the end.

Here's a few of my recent projects that I just had to use these fasteners on (all of which are on kraft and cut and scored, no cricut for these bad boys).

This is a box I made to hold a book that I got for my Dad for his birthday. Technically...there aren't any buttons here, but card stock circles and brads work great too! I used the stamp sets Confidential (label, tab, and spy sentiments), A Typeface ("happy" and "th"), and Little Reminder ("50"). The ink colors are sunset and crème brulee.



This is a hybrid box/envelope that I made to go with a ticket/card I made for my Mom's friend. My Mom bought her a plane ticket to Florida for her birthday. They're going on a trip this winter with a group of their friends. I used the stamp sets Love Life (swirls), Hooray Bouquet (flowers), Word Card Puzzle ("to" x2, "from," and "happy birthday"), You Are... ("fun!"), and Little Reminder (calendar wheel). I also used Urban Alphabet to stamp her name on the other side of the envelope but it's not pictured. The ink colors are crème brûlée, smoothie, sweet leaf, lagoon, and outdoor denim. I also used a clear sakura glitter gel pen to outline the words "ticket" and "fun."



This little box holds note cards. One of my good friends is getting married and I thought it would be neat if she wrote down all the things she's looking forward to, all the things she'll miss, and whatever else she wants really (anything along the lines of hopes, dreams, etc.). I used her colors of course (teal and brown, of which I am a huge fan) and I used different sized buttons this time. I like the smaller button on the bottom because the flap covers so much more of the front. I also added a décor edge to the flap by tracing the edge of a shape from the cricut art philosophy cartridge. I lined the inside with dotty for you in lagoon and stuck pearls in the center of the roses (also art philosophy). The inks are chocolate and lagoon and I used the stamp sets Love Life (the small heart), Limited Edition (notecard lines and frame), and My Mom (swirls).  

No comments: