4.27.2013

Interactive Boy Birthday Cards

My favorite new thing is making interactive cards (especially for kids). I love shaker cards, and recently I've become obsessed with slider/spinner cards.

I made two cards with a spinner feature. The first one is this little dino card. I stamped the pattern on his belly from an owl stamp and the pattern on his spikes from a button stamp. I like using tone-on-tone stamping when adding patterns to small cuts because it adds interest without being too distracting. I stamped the streamers in the same colors as the dino and added 'confetti' that matched his spots. The confetti is just hole punches from silver glitter paper and his spots are just a small scrap. Incorporating tiny bits and scraps is a great way to make supplies last and still get the added pop.

The rocket on the next card was a bit trickier (compared to a cricut/die cut) because it was embossed, fussy cut, and paper pieced. However, the result is a different kind of look. I adhered the lagoon patterned paper to a piece of card stock to make it sturdier This makes the embossing easier (so the paper won't curl) and the spinner easier to push around. After embossing and fussy cutting, I colored in some of the parts with an outdoor denim marker and paper pieced others with pear patterned paper. I also hole punched the window and stuck a piece of vellum behind it. To clean up the edges, I went around it with a Sakura white gel pen. For the spinner, I did trim down the disk edge on the front where the rocket is adhered because it was a bit too big. I finished the card off with some embossed stars, washi tape, banner sentiment, and tiny staples. Oh, and did I mention? This card is for a Buzz Lightyear Birthday! That sentiment is just too perfect!






THE STUFF (dino card)
Stamps: PTI Birthday Style, PTI Bountiful Banners, CTMH Who's Your Valentine, CTMH Buttons, Bits, and Bobs  
Ink: CTMH Lagoon, Pear, and Honey, PTI Smokey Shadow 
Paper: PTI Stamper's Select White, CTMH Glitter, Lagoon, Pear, and Honey
Embellishments: googly eyes 
Cuts: PTI Movers & Shakers: Spinners, Cricut Create a Critter, 1/4" and 1/8" hole punch

THE STUFF (rocket card) 
Stamps: PTI Boy Basics: Out of This World 
Ink: CTMH Outdoor Denim, Versamark, Zing White embossing powder 
Paper: PTI Stamper's Select White, CTMH Outdoor Denim, CTMH Later Sk8er, vellum 
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher, CTMH Slate Washi Tape, Up & Up Washi Tape 
Cuts: PTI Movers & Shakers: Spinners 

1 comment:

Kigz said...

Spinners! :) The dino is too cute!